Friday, July 27, 2012

Zucchini!

It's about that time of year when gardens are overflowing with zucchini.  There are so many ways to enjoy this green vegetable, including the way I'm sharing with you today.  I actually made these last summer and lucky for you I found it in my drafts folder!



Corn & Zucchini Cakes
adapted from Bran Appetit & Chosing Raw

1/4c ground flaxseed
6T water
1c fresh corn kernals (from 2 ears)
1/2 sm zucchini, diced (~1/2c)
scant 3/4t salt
1/4t fresh ground pepper
1/2t dried cumin
1/8t dried coriander
1/4c nutritional yeast
6T cornmeal
4-6T milk (I used almond)

In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and water, set aside for ~5min while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except milk) and mix well.  Add enough milk to bring the mixture to a batter consistency.

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Using a 1/4-cup measure, scoop dough onto skillet and cook 3-5min, until it starts to brown.  Flip and cook another 2-4min, and then set aside.

I served these over some mixed greens and topped them with chopped avocado and tomatoes!



Have more zucchini to use up?  Here are some more of my favorites:

Savory Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Kale Lasagna
Cardamom Coffee Zucchini Bread
Sauteed Squash on Avocado Pesto Pasta


Zucchini Kale Lasagna (left), Avocado Pesto Pasta w/Sauteed Squash (right)



What's your favorite way to enjoy zucchini?

27 comments:

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

I've never been a huge fan of the zuke (not that I dislike them, but I really don't incorporate them in my diet that often), but these look awesome!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

Oh I love zucchini... just made a loaf of zucchini bread, actually! These cakes look great - the addition of corn is perfect.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I'm flagging this blog post as I'm going to have a lot of zucchini from my mom's garden this summer!

Elizabeth said...

I love zucchini cakes, the avocado topping sounds fabulous

Kristen said...

anything topped with avocado is a winning recipe in my book. I love zucchini in a summer pasta skillet, sauteed with squash and tomatoes and maybe some sausage.

Natalie said...

keep the zucchini recipes coming-I've been eating tons of it lately! :) want to try that lasagna!

CJ - Food Stories said...

Love zuccchini ... Looks fantastic ... Happy Friday :-)

Ranjani said...

I'm with Daisy - put avocado on top of anything and I'll eat it. I love zucchini and corn too though, so this is a winner!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

Great use of flaxseed here! I typically grate zucchinni for fritters like these and spend an annoying amount of time squeezing the water out of it... I'm going to try diced zuchs next time!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Lots of zucchini in my CSA share! And my husband doesn't like them...but hidden in something like this I could probably get him to eat it :-)

Pencil Kitchen said...

honest: don't like Zucchini. But I do admit some good dishes have zucchini in them. :D Always gotta give good food another chance, you know?!

Delicious Dishings said...

Definitely one of my favorite things to make with an abundance of zucchini!

Val said...

I adore a good zucchini cake. These look awesome.

Joanne said...

I never feel like I can have enough zucchini or corm recipes in my life...I'm so glad you unearthed this!

Katerina said...

I have planted zucchinis in my garden and now I have plenty of zucchinis to experiment. These cakes sound like the perfect idea!

Candace said...

What a great use for zucchini! These look delicious.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Nice! I am loving all these zucchini fritter recipes that are showing up this summer. They are all slightly different and all are such a great way to eat up some summer squash.

Esi said...

I am oddly picky about corn and zucchini, but these cakes sound like something I would enjoy.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen said...

I keep looking for ways to use more zucchini. This looks so delicious and healthy!

Kerstin said...

I can't believe you managed to save this recipe since last summer! Looks great - I love zucchini!

Biz said...

I love making zucchini lasagna, just leaving out the noodles all together. And I made zucchini pancakes for breakfast this morning - made with leftover mashed potatoes - so good!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I love making baked zucchini fries. These zucchini cakes look great1

We Are Not Martha said...

I'm writing a post about zucchini right now! Because, yes, my farm share box runneth over. These look fabulous and I might just be doing this with some of my many zukes!

Sues

Erica said...

Adore Zucchini! I usually like it just grilled, but its awesome in bread and gratins as well. This looks yummy!

sophia said...

Can you believe I haven't bought zucchini at all this summer! Looking at this wonderful recipe, I'm reminded to take a grocery trip soon!

Elina (Satisfied Cravings) said...

I keep meaning to make Russian zucchini cakes - I think they're pretty similar. What a great way to incorporate this delicious summer veggie :)

Tasty Trix said...

I love corn and zucchini together, this is a great dish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips