Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tomato Corn Pie (CSA Week 10)



With the appearance of native beefsteak tomatoes and corn in my CSA, I knew exactly what was going to be on my menu this week...  tomato corn pie!


This recipe has been on my radar for awhile, and I'm glad I finally got around to making it.  Frankly I don't know what took me so long ;)  Combining two of summer's best with a biscuit crust, this is certainly a winner.  



Tomato Corn Pie
adpated from Gourmet
Serves 4-6

The lemon "mayo" (I swapped greek yogurt for most of the mayo) was a delightful surprise, although I'm going to suggest you put it in between layers instead of on top of all of the tomato and corn.  Even after draining the tomato slices a bit my pie was still juicy when I cut into it, just pour off the liquid if this happens to you.

For the biscuit crust:
2c white whole wheat flour
1T baking powder
3/4t salt
6T cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/4c greek yogurt whisked with 1/2c milk (or 3/4c buttermilk)

For the filling:
1/3c greek yogurt
2T olive oil mayo
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon (could double this if you have it)
1 3/4lb beefsteak tomatoes, peeled* and sliced crosswise 1/4" thick and drained on paper towels
corn kernals from 3 ears (~1 1/2c)
3 scallions, sliced (~1/2c)
2-3T thinly sliced basil
salt & freshly grated black pepper
5oz grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400deg.

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients for the crust (flour through salt).  Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or your fingers), until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Add milk, stirring just until a dough forms.  Gather into a ball and divide dough in half.

Roll out each half of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a size that's bigger than your pie plate.  With one circle, remove one sheet of parchment, invert into pie plate.  Use your fingers to pat the crust into the plate and discard the other sheet of parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together greek yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and mayo.

Arrange half of the tomatoes on the bottom of the pie crust.  Top with half the corn, scallions and basil.  Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.  Pour lemon-yogurt mixture over the filling and top with half the cheese.  Repeat layering with the rest of the ingredients.

Place the other half of the dough on top of the pie and then pinch the edges together with the bottom crust to seal.  Cut 4 vents in the top crust to allow steam to escape.  You can brush the top with melted butter, milk or an egg wash...  but I chose not to.

Bake for 30-35min, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.  Cool on a wire rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

*To peel the tomatoes, slice a shallow X on the bottom and drop in boiling water for 10sec.  Plunge into ice cold water to cool, then drain and the peel should easily slip off!



Hang onto summer and go make this pie!!

21 comments:

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

Definitely a celebration of summer ingredients :). I love that you used white whole wheat flour for the biscuit crust, and Greek yogurt in place of some of the mayo for the filling. I MUST make this while corn and tomatoes are still in season! I bet leftovers are great, too.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Um, your pie crust looks GORGEOUS!

Kristen said...

looks like a winner to me! what a great way to celebrate late summer vegetables!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

This looks incredible. What a perfect summer combo!

Elizabeth said...

What a cool use of summer veggies! Love the whole wheat crust too

BigAppleNosh said...

Yum! I'm loving how creative the CSA is forcing me to be :)

Erika @ The Teenage Taste said...

This pie is the epitome of Summer! I grow tomatoes in a garden in my backyard and have LOADS to use up! This would be perfect for me. *Bookmarked!*

Joanne said...

This pie has really gotten around and with good reason! It looks so delicious. I wish I were having that for dinner.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

This definitely screams summer! Want ;)

Biz said...

That looks so summery Shannon - love it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

wowza - how delicious!

Jean said...

Great looking crust!! You make me proud :)

brandi said...

oh man, i need to make this!

your crust looks incredible :)

Delicious Dishings said...

Love this! I have a corn and tomato recipe coming up on Monday, and I feel the same way... hold onto summer!

Reeni said...

I could dive headfirst into that! Two of my favorite veggies surrounded by crust? Yes, please.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

All those veggies bring a smile to my face! That corn looks amazing....yum! Love the pie that you made. Great way to use up all the deliciousness.

Kerstin said...

Yum, this really just screams summer! And the biscuit crust sounds so unique and tasty.

Anonymous said...

A perfectly delicious pie, awesome filling with tomato and corn.

Larissa said...

Looks great -- a perfect late August recipe!

Rosiecat24 said...

I had a "juice problem" too when I made a tomato and corn pie! It was a different recipe, but I feel kind of relieved that it happens to other cooks too :-)

Your pie looks gorgeous, lady. Just gorgeous.

Esi said...

So summery! I'm obsessed with tomatoes right now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips