Friday, December 19, 2008

Let it Snow!!

It's beginning to look a LOT like christmas :):) I'm loving the snow outside right now!!! I got to walk home in it ~3 and by the time i got to my apartment, I looked like a snowman :) how fun!

Before I forget, two very important things. Another easy way to give, go comment on MizFit's site here. She'll be donating to a domestic violence shelter. Second, a shoutout to Erin, who sent me some of that infamous trail mix (it's as dangerous as it seems...) and some Super Charge Me Cookies!! How she knew I've been meaning to try those, I don't know, maybe she's psychic! Both of the delicious goodies refused to be photographed, they didn't want to make everyone jealous :)

Oooh, you came here for the food? Right. Well I feel like I haven't been feeling the creative bug in awhile, but when I came across these I had to pick them up!


Then it was what to do with them... I was immediately thinking cookies (witches hats), but didn't really think the peanut butter was the right pairing. I thought almond would be the best flavor base to go with these, and while I toyed with the idea of using almond butter, here's how they ended up...


Chocolate Raspberry Almond Shortbread
adapted from my aunt's Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies

1c butter, softened (I used Smart Balance 50/50 sticks)
3/4c sugar
1t almond extract
2c AP flour
1/2t baking powder
1/4t salt
Dark Choc Raspberry Kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 400deg. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine the first three ingredients (butter, sugar, extract) into the bowl of a mixer and beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed.

I used a cookie scoop (probably ~1t) to scoop out cookies onto a cookie sheet, 1" apart or so. Bake 7-9min, until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1minute while you top the cookies with kisses, then remove from cookie sheet.

Look at how ooey-gooey they got!!!

A note on the Smart Balance Sticks... they seem to have different melting properties than butter. In recipes like this, where you cream the butter and sugar, it seems to work just fine. Be careful, however, when melting it for other recipes, it happens quickly and splatters!

20 comments:

Krista said...

Mmmmm! Those look SO good! The chocolate kisses still look warm and gooey! Great job! :)

Christine said...

Interesting about the spattering and stuff. I've only used the SB baking bars in creaming/pie dough and found it worked well (though a little salty, I think). I'll remember that!

Delicious cookies. It's even better because you used the raspberry chocolate Kisses instead of just chocolate.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for snow and shortbread cookies!!

Reeni said...

We have lots of snow here, too! Yay for a white Christmas. Cookies look awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked. :) Thanks for the info on smart balance too!

Anonymous said...

They do sound fabulous--great flavor combo! And good for you for walking in the snow :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

wooooooo......these are so cute!!!! yum yum~~

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

ooo those lookso good! I want one!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous said...

Yum! You did good with those Kisses :o) I saw them the other day and was tempted to try them - now I pretty much have to!

And lucky you, getting some of Erin's trail mix and SUPER CHARGE ME cookies! She's a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Chocolate Raspberry Almond Shortbread! Sounds great!

Have fun in the snow, girl! Stay safe!!

Anonymous said...

such creative cookies!

Erica said...

yum o! Those cookies look so good! I may have to look for those kisses at the store today!

Yayyy for Erin's trail mix. She is just the bestest!

HangryPants said...

I love how there are like a million kinds of hershey kisses these days! I like your creative witch hats. :D

Anonymous said...

Boy do those look good! I want some to nibble on with my coffee.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I keep seeing these everywhere I NEED to make them!!!!

Bridget said...

Omg what is it about melty chocolate that looks sooo amazing!! Thanks for the info on Smartbalance, I've never tried baking with it!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh those are fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Yesss! I've been meaning to experiment with the peanut blossom concept and use different types of dough and flavors of Hershey's.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you just made me realize something... someone brought cookies like that to our potluck at work and I thought they were store bought because they looked so perfect with the chocolate points. I didn't even consider that they could be hershey kisses. Brilliant!! (and now I wish I had some)

test it comm said...

Those look good! I am going to have to look for those raspberry kisses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips